Pharmacology is one of the most important and integral branch of Pharmacy. The word pharmacology means "the study of drugs". It is the only branch of pharmacy which is included in the curriculum of other health science programmes as well. Pharmacology clearly has two divisions viz. Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics. Pharmacokinetics is the study about changes occurred to the drug in the body, and Pharmacodynamics, the study about the changes the drug produced in the body. Experimental pharmacology mainly deals with the drug screening studies using animals and isolated tissue preparations.
The department of pharmacology of Al Shifa College of pharmacy has largely contributed to the development of the college through the years. The department is equipped with many modern equipments which are commonly used in the experimental pharmacology, like Eddy's hot plate, rota rod apparatus, pole climbing apparatus, electro-convulsiometer, histamine chamber, mirror chamber etc. The department also maintains softwares which are commonly employed for experimental pharmacology training purpose.
The department has a well maintained animal house. Pharmacology department of Al Shifa College of Pharmacy is one of the first one of the first of its kind in the entire state to get CPCSEA (Full form) registration. The institution has a IAEC (full form) , which comprises of experts and eminent personalities from various fields. The IAEC conducts its meetings at regular intervals and whenever new proposals come.
Currently, the department provides a good platform for Pharmacological experiments related with dessertation works of M.Pharm students, and research works of faculty members. The department also plays an active role in the OSDD project work in which the college is a partner.
The department has many publications in many well acclaimed national and international journals.
The Pharmacology department is in its way of large scale developmental activities. Many most advanced equipments are to procured very soon. Expansion works of the labs are already on the progress. The institution is trying to get permission from the authorities for the commencement of M.Pharm Pharmacology course in the near future. Commence of PG course will definitely fasten developmental activities.
1. Microscope (Compound)
- Conducted 2 days national level workshop cum symposium on â€œ experimental animal in biomedical research and ethics â€ on 30th, 31st January 2015.
- Pharmacology department received AICTE seminar grant Rs 1 lakh and conducted two days â€œ National seminar on recent advancements in the management of psychiatric disorders â€ on 3rd and 4th November 2017.
- Department has more than 75 research publications in peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Department is conducting hands on training on handling of laboratory animals, to post graduate students and researchers.
- Faculty members of the department has attended and presented papers in many national/international conferences and seminars.
- The department maintains a CPCSEA registered animals house with modern facilities.
- Department of Pharmacology has received a grant of Rs 1106667/- from AICTE under the MODROB scheme for the year 2019-20. The grant was utilized for the up-gradation of research laboratory with the installation of equipments like Auto- analyzer, Cell analyzer, Digital plethysmometer etc.