The Internationally recognized Pharm. D programme commenced in Al Shifa College of Pharmacy from the Academic Session 2009-10 is the First in Kerala State, approved by the Pharmacy Council of India and affiliated to University of Calicut/ KUHS (Kerala University of Health Sciences).
Pharm D. is a six year course providing intensive training in pharmacy practice and clinical pharmacy services. The course will include five years of clinical and community-based theory with ward rounds and one year internship in hospitals. We have ample infrastructure focusing mainly on clinical aspects. Pharm D. students will work in coordination with doctors to treat patients. In the final year, the student will come out as a clinical pharmacist who will be an essential component of healthcare equal to doctors. Pharm D. graduates will study in detail about drugs for different diseases, will advise patients about dose, action, and side effects and has knowledge and skills of current diagnostic methods, treatment modalities, drug delivery system, therapeutics outcome, pharmaco economics and pharmaco therapy to meet the rapid changes in the healthcare system.
A pharmacist is a vital link in the physician-patient chain and he is expected to play a key role in the dissemination of pharmaceutical knowledge. The practice of pharmacy includes the custody, preparation and distribution of pharmaceutical products besides providing advice on health and nutrition related issues. The introduction of the Pharm D. course is set to change the country's pharmacy education landscape and is expected to take the country's pharmacy education to international levels.
The programme of Pharm.D is to produce pharmacists who have the abilities and skills which are necessary to achieve outcomes related to:
- Providing Pharmaceutical care to patients.
- Developing and managing medication distribution and control systems.
- Monitoring drug response in patients and adjusting dosage regimens to produce the safest, most beneficial results in therapy.
- Managing the pharmacy.
- Promoting public health.
- Providing drug information and education.
- Providing technical aid to Pharmaceutical industry and solving problems pertinent to the manufacturing of medicines.
- Reviewing products evaluated for formulary consideration.
- Evaluating policies, procedure, protocols and clinical pathways to ensure safe use of medications.
- Analyzing quality assurance activities to ensure that improvements are implemented to produce positive patient outcomes.
A pass in any of the following examinations -
(1) 10+2 examination with Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects along with one of the following subjects: Mathematics or Biology with a minimum of 50% marks in the aggregate for optional subjects.
(2) A pass in D.Pharm course with a minimum of 50% marks from an institution approved by the Pharmacy Council of India under section 12 of the Pharmacy Act.
(3) Any other qualification approved by the Pharmacy Council of India as equivalent to any of the above examinations.
Provided that a student should complete the age of 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission to the course.
Duration of the course
The duration of the course shall be six academic years (five years of study and one year of internship or residency) full time with each academic year spread over a period of not less than two hundred working days. The period of six years duration is divided into two phases -
Phase I- consisting of First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth academic year.
Phase II- consisting of internship or residency training during sixth year involving posting in specialty units. It is a phase of training wherein a student is exposed to actual pharmacy practice or clinical pharmacy services and acquires skill under supervision so that he or she may become capable of functioning independently.
Few professions offer the variety of specialization and opportunities that the profession of pharmacy does. Pharmacy offers a challenging, satisfying and rewarding career to the individual whose interest lies in health services to the public, business, scientific research, university teaching and hospital practice. Pharmacist's services have been invaluable to society for the last few centuries and have assured greater importance presently due to the advent of "wonder drugs". The holder of this degree is sought after in the following areas:
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Industrial Pharmacy
- Community Pharmacy
- Geriatric Pharmacy
- Retail Pharmacy
- Radio Pharmacy
- Pharmacy in Armed Forces
- As Teacher/Researcher
- Pharmacy law Practice
- Drug control administration
- Pharmaceutical Marketing
- Opportunities Abroad