Nowadays, the profession of Pharmacy has changed to meet the global standards and the need of promotion of rational drug use to ensure patient safety in developing countries like India. The introduction of Pharm.D course and Pharm.D Post Baccalaureate course in to the Pharmacy academic field will meet the urgent need of the present scenario. The curriculum is designed in such a way that it is more patient care oriented than general pharmacy.
Pharm.D (Post Baccalaureate) is a three year program including two years of study in the college with practical in the Al Shifa Hospital, Perintalmanna and one year internship or residency in the Al Shifa Hospital, Perintalmanna. During the internship, the students will be posted in various clinical specialties to get exposure in clinical pharmacy activities under supervision. Upon completion of the internship, the student will acquire knowledge and skill for delivering clinical pharmacy services to both patient community and healthcare team.
A pass in B.Pharm from an institution approved by the Pharmacy Council of India under section 12 of the Pharmacy Act.
GPAT rank or state level entrance test rank or B.Pharm percentage is the criteria for admission.
No. of seats: 10
Approvals for conducting Pharm.D (PB):
Respective University (Kerala University of Health Sciences), AICTE and PCI. We have all the approvals for conducting the course.
Opportunities for Pharm.D (PB) graduates
- Dispensing and Patient education.
- Provision of Public Awareness Services.
Hospital pharmacy and Clinical Pharmacy
- Patient Counseling
- Provision of Drug and Poison Information
- Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
- Dosage Adjustments for special population and in Renal or Hepatic Impairments
- Ward Round Participation
- Participation in clinical decision making
- Monitoring and Detection of Drug Interactions, Adverse Drug Reactions, Medication Errors, etc.
- Participation in drug selection for Hospital Formulary as a member of Pharmacy and Therapeutics committee.
- Inventory control
- Preparation of IV admixtures and other sterile products for inpatient use.
- Quality Assurance of Healthcare in Hospitals.
- In Teaching Position for Pharm.D students.